The MyUS.com "Be the Face of Change" Scholarship
Scholarship Award: $2,000
Due date for this scholarship submission: February 1, 2020
Eligibility: Nigerian students
At MyUS.com, we view our members (current and future) as family. Since beginning to serve our Nigerian members in 1997, we’ve learned much about the aptly nicknamed, “Giant of Africa.” We’ve learned about “Nollywood,” the more than 500 indigenous languages spoken throughout the oil-rich nation and about Zuma Rock. We’ve learned about Lagos and the River Niger, and we’ve learned about the Third-Mainland Bridge.
MyUS.com exists to break down disparities in obtainment – be it a product, education or income – and we never turn our back on our member family. As such, MyUS.com is proud to offer the first, annual “Be the Face of Change” Scholarship – a Scholarship solely for Nigerian students pursuing a degree in higher education.
To qualify for scholarship consideration, eligible students must write a 500-word essay detailing how the Nigerian political environment, economy, culture and/or being a Nigerian citizen has influenced their desire to obtain a secondary degree, and how that degree will likely impact their and/or their community’s circumstances in a positive manner.
How to Apply:
To enter, send an email to email@example.com with the following information:
- Your essay (attached as a document or included in the body of the email)
- A photo of yourself (image must feature you alone, without other people)
- Any additional relevant information you feel will help tell your story
Any submissions not received through this email will be disqualified. If you’re having trouble submitting your essay, please contact MyUS.com at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
Essays will be reviewed ‒ and the recipient will be selected ‒ based on the student’s ability to communicate their story as it relates to the questions above and to the overarching theme of the scholarship, as well as the thoughtfulness of their essay.
- How have you overcome obstacles to put yourself in a position to earn a degree?
- Who (or what) has been your biggest influence in selecting your chosen area of study?
- How have your family, friends, teachers and/or mentors helped you overcome obstacles on your path to secondary education?
- How has being Nigerian/and or Nigerian culture shaped your vantage point on the importance of higher education?
- How do you plan on making an impact after earning your degree?
- Do you have any advice for other Nigerians who are facing obstacles in their pursuit of higher education?
To apply for the scholarship, the applicant must be a Nigerian citizen and student currently enrolled at an officially recognized, accredited college or university. Students who are not currently enrolled but have been accepted to attend may be eligible if they are registered with the college or university.
Incoming and Current Students:
- Eligible students must currently be in good standing with their respective university, college or high school. Students who have been suspended, are on academic probation or have otherwise violated any university/college rules will be disqualified.
- Applicant must either be accepted to a qualifying university/college or currently enrolled in an undergraduate/graduate program
- If the applicant or the applicant's parent/legal guardian is employed by MyUS.com at the time the scholarship is granted, the student will be considered ineligible. Eligibility of finalists will be verified before winners are selected.
Description of Scholarship Funds:
The scholarship recipient will receive a one-time $2,000 (USD) educational scholarship to be applied to qualifying expenses, including undergraduate/graduate tuition, fees, books, and on-campus room and board for the 2019 or 2020 academic year. Funds are provided by Access Shipping LLC (MyUS.com).
Payments issued by MyUS.com are made payable to the student's approved college or university and mailed after March 1, 2020, directly to the accredited college or university last designated by the student.
Winner Selection and Announcement:
The scholarship recipient will be selected by MyUS.com after the February 1, 2020 entry deadline. The winner will be announced and notified via email on or before March 1, 2020.
The institution must be accredited and recognized by the government in which the university is established. Any students who attend universities/colleges that do not fit the criteria will be disqualified.
The recipient must be enrolled without interruption, barring illness, emergency or military service. It is the recipient's responsibility to verify receipt of funds with their designated institution and notify MyUS.com if the award check does not arrive on or about 30 days from the issue date. MyUS.com reserves the right to alter or discontinue this program at any time without notice.
Digital Rights Agreement: By submitting an entry to this competition, you agree that all essay and photo submissions will become the property of MyUS.com and may be used in marketing materials, emails and/or displayed online in whole or partial form without notification.