The Truth About Hunger Around the World
Join the Fight Against World Hunger with MyUS
Help fight hunger around the globe with MyUS, the #1 customer rated shipper of U.S. products. With your help, we're donating 40,000 meals to World Food Program USA to help feed those in need all around the globe.
For every person who shares the Facebook post or joins MyUS, and for every shipment received between 21 July & 2 August, we'll donate a meal. Learn more:
Facts About the Global Hunger Epidemic
- 795 MILLION people go hungry every night
- 1 in 9 people don't have enough food to lead a healthy life
- 1 in 6 children in developing countries is underweight (that's 100 MILLION kids)
- 45% of deaths in children under 5 years old are caused by poor nutrition, which equals 3.1 MILLION kids dying per year.
- US$0.25 can feed a hungry child and save their life.
Causes of Hunger
- The Poverty Trap: People living in poverty cannot afford nutritious food, making them weak and less able to earn money that would help them escape poverty and hunger.
- Climate & Weather: Natural disasters such as floods, tropical storms and drought have calamitous consequences for the hungry poor in developing countries.
- War & Displacement: Across the glove, conflicts consistently disrupt farming and food production, and those displaced are without the means to feed themselves.
- Food Waste: One-third of all food produced (1.3 billion tons) is never consumed. Producing this food uses precious resources and creatives greenhouse gases.
- Lack of Investment in Agriculture: Too many developing countries lack key agricultural infrastructure, such as roads, warehouses and irrigation.
Hunger: A Worldwide Epidemic
Countries Where Hunger is High & Very High:
- Central African Republic
- Sierra Leone
- Burkina Faso
- Republic of the Congo
- North Korea
Countries where hunger is fairy high:
- Dominican Republic
- Cote d'Ivoire
How the World Food Programme Fights Worldwide Hunger
- Brings food assistance to over 76 million people in 81 countries
- Provides school meals to more than 20 million children every year
- Prevents hunger in the future through programs that build assets, spread knowledge and nurture stronger communities
- Continually responds to emergencies and saves lives by getting food to the hungry fast
- Provides the best solutions for hunger through expertise in food security analysis, nutrition, food procurement and logistics
How Can You Help?
Join the Fight Against Hunger Today
- Sign up as a MyUS member and we'll donate one meal to WFP USA on your behalf, up to 20,000 meals. Who is MyUS? Learn more here.
- Donate to WFP: http://wfpusa.org/donate
- Already a MyUS Member? Simply ship a parcel with MyUS between the business days of 21 July and 2 August 2016, and one meal will be donated on your behalf, up to 20,000 meals.
Together we can help solve worldwide hunger!
Sources: World Food Program USA & Food and Agricultural Organization
The average cost of one meal is US$0.25